Wednesday, July 23, 2014


Wednesday's Post 7/23/14

Thanks Angela for the concise list from Doug!
  • Using either PhotoBooth or Face Time to create short videos of information for staff, in place of staff meetings or to give instruction (thanks to Michael for the idea!).
  • Sharing Google tools with staff (thanks to G for the ideas and walk through Google tools!)
    • Google Search Tools
    • Google Translate (for parent newsletters or conferences)
    • Google Custom Search Engine
    • Google Safe Search
    • Google Earth (for a Lit Trip or Real World Math)
LibriVox - site where you can volunteer to read a chapter for an open domain audio books or use the site to look up books you can have read out loud to students. Could kids go to this site and read books out loud? Great way to practice fluency if they could keep at it until it sounded fluent? Just checked it out... probably not :(

Lit to go - on iTunes - found examples of 1 minute trailers on children's books. Great models for teachers to use if they were trying to get kids to do book talks. 

iTunes U - dedicated to teaching and learning

REFLECTION

Another great day in class! I'm really enjoying this week. Best class I've taken in a long time.
I can't believe how well I comprehend with the doodling! I showed these to my two boys, ages 15 & 18 tonight and they were blown away. Sir Ken is their new hero! It was interesting to watch them take in both Sir Ken and Dan Pink and reflect on their own school experiences. My youngest son was truly fired up! "He's really onto something Mom!" He's starting high school and hopeful he will have a different experience than middle school where he didn't feel much autonomy. He craves it and really related to the Dan Pink doodles. There was plenty he didn't understand, but he got enough to reflect on his own experiences. We talked about rudimentary tasks and the ones he does around here for a few bucks versus the tasks he has at school. Of course grades came up. We won't go there as we're in Beaverton. :) 
The presentation tips were good reminders and I appreciate the extra resources. I read Presentation Zen a few years back after working with the authors of Daily 5 for a couple of years. I was lucky enough to present with them a few times at conferences and they were jazzed about this new presentation style they were trying. It intrigued me and I bought the book, tried to incorporate some of the ideas into my slide shows for PD's, staff meetings, etc... It's so easy to get back in the bullet mode when we're in a hurry, but it's worth it to go the visual route and be intentional about your words. 

2 comments:

  1. It is incredible how honest our kids and students are! This is truly a wonderful class, and how great it is to be able to share it with your two boys. My daughter is still very young, but I will tell you my too felt inspired by the doodle clips...very powerful! I am very much in agreement with everything you have said, "the extra resources" are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the presentation and doodling strategy. As an elementary teacher I am constantly drawing for the class to hash out ideas and to help visualize things. I pretty sure being a very, very poor artist actually helps me with the class as they learn to be very forgiving and kind to me about my drawings. They always understand that it is an attempt at improving communication and that I am not perfect and don't produce this perfect product each time I pick up the pencil. I work hard at teaching my kids to draw in the first weeks of school (that really means teaching them the quality of their sketches are fine no matter what) to aid in storyboarding and writing plans. Each year I think I don't have time to teach "drawing" and I end up coming back to it in order to foster a bunch of important skills.

    ReplyDelete